Vegan Carrot and Onion Bhajis – wheat free, makes 10 – 15
Perfect for nibbles at a party or as a starter
- 2 large onions, halved and finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 small red chillies, seeded and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tspn grated fresh ginger
- 2 tpsn mustard seeds
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 3 quarters cup chickpea flour
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a pot of boiling water to the boil. Turn off the heat, add the onions, toss and set aside for 3 minutes. Drain very well.
- Then mix together the onion, carrot, chillies, garlic, ginger, mustard seeds, turmeric, flour, coriander, seasonings until well combined. The moisture from the veg will bind the ingredients together….no need for egg.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a heavy bottomed pan and shallow fry spoonfuls of the mixture until gold brown, then drain well on kitchen paper